Core or Option
What will I study & how is the course organised?
The leisure and tourism industry is one of the UK’s largest employers, offering a variety of exciting and rewarding career possibilities.
The course is made up of two pieces of work, one is examined in Year 11 and the remaining unit is a controlled assessment that has to be completed over the three years:
· Understanding the leisure and tourism industries (exam)
· Moving forward in leisure and tourism (controlled assessment)
Students will develop skills such as:
· Information technology, improving own learning and performance
· Maths in a working environment, problem solving
· Communication at work, working with others
Students will take part in visits to local leisure and tourism businesses to gain a thorough understanding of how businesses operate within these areas. Students will also be required to help in the planning, organisation and running of Academy events.
How is the course assessed?
· 25% examination
· 75% controlled assessment
Where might it lead?
Overall, the course is an interesting, practical and enjoyable course for all students providing an excellent start to work or further study in the fastest growing market in the UK. Due to the general nature of the course, students can find employment in a wide range of occupations.
The course can be enhanced by further study in the Sixth Form. The qualification allows entry onto a number of our BTEC programmes and other courses (subject to entry requirements).