Qualification gained - OCR National Certificate Level 2
The OCR Certificate in Travel and Tourism provides an excellent start for any student who is interested in a wide variety of careers, especially in the leisure and tourism markets.
The main aims of the course are:
- To develop an understanding of the operation, history and future of the leisure and tourism markets.
- To build and develop the skills of group working, time management and organisational planning.
- To build and demonstrate knowledge of the travel industry and encourage progression in careers or further education
The course is made up of 6 full scale projects that have to be completed over the three years covering the areas of:
- Investigating the leisure and tourism industries
- Marketing and promotion of leisure and tourism products
- Customer service within the leisure and tourism industries
- Travel Agency operations
- Visitor attractions
- Worldwide Travel Destinations
Skills and practical help in the use of:
- Information technology, improving own learning and performance
- Application of number in a working environment, problem solving
- Communication at work, working with others
- External visits to local leisure and tourism businesses to gain a thorough understanding of how businesses operate within these areas
There are six major projects to complete over the three years. All are assessed through coursework. There are no formal examinations.
- Assessment of student work is based on the six completed projects. Students receive a number of points on each of the projects. Their final grade is the sum of the points awarded. This system of regular assessment allows students to monitor and improve their own performance and would be of benefit to students who do not perform well in exams.
- Weekly tutorial and lesson feedback are used to allow students to reach their true potential. Performance targets are set and updated regularly.
This course allows a wide range of students who may not be very successful in exams the opportunity to have hard work and determination rewarded. In the event of the course being over-subscribed, selection will be made by the department team in consultation with the Head of Year. Overall, the course is an interesting, practical and enjoyable course for all students providing an excellent start to work or further study in the fastest growing market in the UK.
Completion of the course allows a wide number of career opportunities for students. Due to the general nature of the course, students can find employment in a wide range of occupations. The course can be enhanced by further study in Garforth Sixth Form. The qualification allows entry onto a number of our BTEC programmes and other courses (subject to entry requirements).
For further information contact:
Mr I Winterburn - Leisure & Tourism Co-ordinator